Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cervantes in Golden Gate Park
 ---
Passage from Don Quixote:
Don Quixote took out the notebook, moved off to one side, and very calmly began to write the letter for Dulcinea, 
and when he had finished, he called Sancho and said he wanted to read it to him...

Supreme and Most High Lady,
He who is sore wounded by the sharp blade of absence, he whose heart strings are broken, 
most gentle Dulcinea of Toboso, sendeth thee wishes for the well-being he doth hot have.  
If thy beauty scorneth me, if thy great merit opposeth me, if thy disdain standeth firm against me 
even though I possess a goodly portion of forbearance, I shall not be able to endure this affliction,
 which is both grievous and long-lasting.  
My good squire, Sancho, will recount the state in which I findeth myself for thy sake:
 if it be thy desire to succor me, I am thine; if not, do as thou pleaseth, 
for by ending my life I shall have satisfied both thy cruelty and my own desire.
Thine until death,
The Knight of the Sorrowful Face

"By my father's life," said Sancho when he heard the letter, "that's the highest thing I've ever heard!  Confound it, but how your grace says everything anyone could want, and how well the Knight of the Sorrowful Face fits into the closing!  I'm telling the truth when I say your grace is the devil himself, and there's nothing your grace doesn't know."

"Everything is necessary," responded Don Quixote, "for the profession I follow."